I started the fire with about 1/3 chimney of lit lump.
Opened all vents up to get up to temp and added about an inch of water in the pan
At about 200 I closed down one air vent completely and the other I left open half way.
I pushed the lit coals into a pile in the back corner and filled the remainder of the charcoal basket.
Once the temp hit 220 (already passed where I wanted) I topped off the water pan with cold water.
At this point I thought it was going to hold at @210 and appeared at first to stabilize there....
Having complete faith in the cooker, I left to go eat breakfast. (I know...I shouldn't have left)
Came back an hour later and I was up around 250.
So I shut down the air vent that was open....temps really didn't change.
I started closing down the top exhaust vent a little at a time and the Party seemed very responsive to that.
I found that I could shut the bottom vents and leave the exhaust wide open and still run around 240. (That could be just because I was already too hot....easier to increase temp than decrease in an insulated cooker.)
Could be I started with too much lit coals.
Could be I needed to start closing vents earlier...@175
Could be I need to be more patient and bring my temps up slower as to not overshoot my target.
Could be I just need to cook again....
I do have a Stoker, but wasn't using it as I don't have an adapter YET, and I don't think I should "need" it for the party.