Buying a New Cooker-Need Help

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Buying a New Cooker-Need Help

Postby umpire » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:48 pm

I am thinking about buying a new cooker this week. I was looking at the Fatboy. Is this a good cooker? Also, I noticed you can add additonal racks. Is this something that is recommended? I currently own 4 mega charoal cookers and I wanted to branch out with a BWS. I was wondering which model I should start with?
umpire

Re: Buying a New Cooker-Need Help

Postby RickC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Unless your are prepping food for 25-50 people I would stick with the Party or Chubby as your first BWS. These smokers hold their value very well and will be snapped right up when you are ready to move up to a larger smoker. The two small ones are much easier to move around than the Fatboys and up. That said the Gator is my next Backwoods. Before you ask , "what is a Gator", it is an unlisted model deeper than a Fatboy, but the same height and width. It comes with expanded metal racks, a commercial fire grate, removeable water pan.
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin

Postby umpire » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for the input. However, just ordered a Fatboy. Supposed to pick it up on Friday. I purchased a cover and heat diverter. Also, I have ordered a digiQ guru to use. Can't wait to get started. Is there anything else I need????? What kind of charcoal do you recommend for the Fatboy?
umpire

Postby Braddog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:54 am

I find that briquettes give me the longest, most even burn. I typically cook with Kingsford blue bag and add wood chunks for flavor. You'll love the Fatboy. I loved mine until I upgraded to the Pro Jr. :lol:

Cheers,
Braddog
Braddog
http://www.grillandbarrel.com

All my cookers start with the letter "B"
Backwoods Fat Boy (Sold)
Backwoods Pro Jr.
Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog

Postby RickC » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:39 am

Braddog wrote:I find that briquettes give me the longest, most even burn. I typically cook with Kingsford blue bag and add wood chunks for flavor. You'll love the Fatboy. I loved mine until I upgraded to the Pro Jr. :lol:

Cheers,
Braddog

I might have to give the blue bag a try. I have been using lump ever since I got my Chubby. I have to do 4 briskets for a party on the 10th of December.
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker