Need advice on 3 smokers for food truck/trailer biz

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Need advice on 3 smokers for food truck/trailer biz

Postby revive » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:51 am

Hello all,
I've read some great info on the website and the forum.. but, since i don't have a local retailer to check the cookers out myself (in Oregon), I'd really like to get some input on those of you who've used these smokers for a bit, with various meats, etc.

Right now, I'm looking to source 3 smokers for a food truck/trailer (undecided about the truck or trailer at the moment) that my family is putting together. I'd like 3 smokers so we can smoke with 3 different woods chips (mesquite, hickory and applewood) at the same time, in prep for the following day. Main items being smoked are brisket, pork butt, pork ribs, sausages and meatloaf (yes, I said meatloaf :D). I've run a large, outdoor rotating pit and a smallish Vermont Castings gas/chip smoker I used to tote around for family outings.. but, what I need is somewhere in the middle - decent capacity (4-6 briskets or 8-10 racks of ribs, etc), able to hold consistent temp, easy to clean and economical use of fuel (coal or lump).

So far, my plan so far is to buy three smokers, but they don't have to be identical as the applewood smoker wont carry the capacity of the mesquite, per se (applewood holding 3-4 meatloafs, pork rib roast for chops) and he mesquite holding brisket, sausages and ribs.

Any input you can provide on which smokers might do the best for specifics tasks would be greatly appreciated! Also, comments and experience on their use (cleaning, quality, etc.) and performance (consist. temp, draft, etc.) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and I'm really looking forward to bringing such a great American product into our business!
Jesse M
revive

Re: Need advice on 3 smokers for food truck/trailer biz

Postby DntBrnDPig » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:37 pm

I think 3-4 briskets would fit on a chubby or fat boy. BWS are crazy efficient on fuel.

If you look on the main backwoods smoker website under each smoker, just above the options, it will tell you meat capacities... and they are pretty on spot.
DntBrnDPig

Postby RickC » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm

DntBrnDPig wrote:I think 3-4 briskets would fit on a chubby or fat boy. BWS are crazy efficient on fuel.

If you look on the main backwoods smoker website under each smoker, just above the options, it will tell you meat capacities... and they are pretty on spot.

I don't know about that; 4-6 butts, the only way you would would get more than four butts in a Chubby is for the butts to be boneless. I can put 4 butts in the chubby (about 8-10 lb. ea) and it is full. As far as baby backs go, if you buy packers you can just barely get 1 rack on each rack unless you trim several bones off of them. I'm not knocking my Chubby, I love it, but it does have it's limits as far as quanity goes. That is why I want a Gator and I'm saving up for it.
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC

Postby Braddog » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:56 am

I have to agree with Rick. I think the capacity stated on the website is a little optimistic. For example, he stated capacity for the Fatboy is 16 Boston Butts. You might get 16 on there if they're boneless, butterflied, and smallish.

Cheers,
Braddog
Braddog
http://www.grillandbarrel.com

All my cookers start with the letter "B"
Backwoods Fat Boy (Sold)
Backwoods Pro Jr.
Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker