Competitor for Catering?

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Competitor for Catering?

Postby HB-BBQ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm looking at purchasing a new Competitor and wonder if it will handle catering duty for say 100 to 150 adults. I will be cooking mostly tri-tip, ribs and chicken...though at times she will get loaded down with a case or more of pork butts the night before a gig.

I have owned a Party and a Fatboy for personal/competition in the past and was thoroughly pleased with the performance of both. I currently own a Large "other" brand upright water smoker which is not working out for me due to its excessive size and my parking situation at home. It has four shelves that are 34"wide x 25"deep and I have yet to come anywhere near using all of that space so I am downsizing. I plan to use an enclosed trailer for transport so there's no issue there.

We are also debating on the convection option...
I'm an old stickburner guy so even cooking on a backwoods is a massive improvement in heat management by comparison. I know having electricity available is occasionally an issue depending on the location of the event I will be working and would hate to run a generator in front of a client especially at a wedding etc. This all leads me to believe that the convection may be overkill but I would love some input from those of you that have it.

Thanks
Rob
BWS Patio
BWS Party - sold
BWS Competitor - sold
HB-BBQ

Re: Competitor for Catering?

Postby HB-BBQ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:11 pm

I forgot to mention the options I want and appreciate any input there thanks.

Heat Diverter
Castors
Handle on back
Cover
Rob
BWS Patio
BWS Party - sold
BWS Competitor - sold
HB-BBQ

Postby RickC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:39 pm

The convection fan is going to draw very little power, you could run it with one of the smallest Honda generators and no one would even hear it.
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin

Postby Braddog » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:26 pm

If you had the Fatboy in the past, you know that at that size they get tough to move around much. I'd definitely go with casters & the handle. However, I went after market on the casters for much less money.

Heat diverter is a must for me as it'll extend the time between fill ups of the water pan.

CHeers,
Braddog
Braddog
http://www.grillandbarrel.com

All my cookers start with the letter "B"
Backwoods Fat Boy (Sold)
Backwoods Pro Jr.
Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog

Postby RiverCityRub » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:02 am

Why not a pro junior or a piglet. A competitor will work but leaving a little room for the air t0 move around inside the smoker is a plus. Heat diverter is a must.
Theron
RiverCityRub.com

Piglet
Upgraded Party
RiverCityRub

Postby HB-BBQ » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:18 pm

RiverCityRub wrote:Why not a pro junior or a piglet. A competitor will work but leaving a little room for the air t0 move around inside the smoker is a plus. Heat diverter is a must.

I first thought about both of those but I need a smoker that I can easily move by myself in and out of a cargo trailer. I can store the trailer for free at work but am currently paying $100 a month for storing my rig. It just isn't adding up since I am just getting into catering. I basically over bought and am downsizing until I get the biz up and going.
Rob
BWS Patio
BWS Party - sold
BWS Competitor - sold
HB-BBQ

Postby masterintraining » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:55 pm

The Competitor might be cutting it close for what you have in mind.

Get a Piglet and put it on one of the heavy duty 2x4 utility carts from lowes, very easy to move around and I think with the vertical door its nice to have it up a little higher.
BBQ ASAP

BWS Competitor
BWS Piglet
BWS Comp Hog
masterintraining

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker