Temperature Range on Back Woods Smoker

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Temperature Range on Back Woods Smoker

Postby BBQFanatic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:50 pm

The specifications for the BWS show "200 to 250 degrees". I this the range you really experience? Is 250 the hottest this smoker will go? I sometimes like to go a bit hotter (275 to 300) with my existing uninsulated cookers particularly with very large butts or briskets or if I need to speed up the cooking process.
BBQFanatic

Re: Temperature Range on Back Woods Smoker

Postby Old Dave » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 am

I run my three Backwoods cookers from a low of 80 degrees for smoking cheese up and thru about 140-160 degrees for smoking sausage and making jerky. I also use the normal cooking temps of around 225 thru 300 for much of my meat to as high as 350 degrees for my poultry, many casseroles, and some light baking. I also do my pizza at up to about 400 degrees with great results.

If you really want to speed up your briskets and butts, try them direct in your Backwoods at 375 degrees and have them done in less than 5 hours.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Cooking Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Old Dave
BBQ Master

Postby TN_BBQ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:36 am

You can get them up well over 300*

It just takes more fuel and more air than what you might use if doing the low and slow smoking method.

If you get a big roaring fire in there, you'll have that thing rocking (and it'll stay that way for a looooong time).
TN_BBQ

Postby Boyz Club Rulez » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 pm

I seasoned my Chubby today and it got up to almost 500 degrees per the door thermoneter.
Boyz Club Rulez

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker