Fatboy capacity Question

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Fatboy capacity Question

Postby Buddha Belly BBQ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 am

Hello All :D
Ok So I know that on the Party, the top shelf runs hotter and the bottom rack sits almost on the water pan
so mostly only the four middle racks are the useable ones for long cooks.

Here is the question... Are all the racks on the Fatboy pretty equal, I guess what I am asking does the fatboy have pretty even temp top to bottom. Can I use the lowest rack for long cooks or is it too close to the water pan like the Party?

Thanks for all you help BWS community :shock:
Buddha Belly BBQ

Re: Fatboy capacity Question

Postby Old Dave » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:13 am

Good morning Mr. Buddha Belly BBQ,

Welcome to the Backwoods forum.

First, I think you have some wrong information on the Backwoods Party. You can, I say can, use all the racks in the Party for great food. I have cooked on 10, count em ten grids in the Party cooker for my jerky. The top rack does run a little warmer due to the food being very close to the metal in the top of the cooker but just rotate that grid with one of the lower grids about once in a long low and slow cook or just live with the little higher temp and take the food off a little earlier.

This is 10 racks of jerky in my Party and I never rotated any of the racks during the cook.

A large rib cook in the Backwoods Party. As you can see, I am using the bottom rack in the cooker. I use the bottom rack on most of my cooks. I also use the top rack if I need the space.

Fatboy--the top rack in this cooker (or any upright cooker) will run a little hotter just as with the Party but that doesn't mean you can't use it. And yes, just like the Party, you can cook on the lower rack. As for the top to bottom temps, the Fatboy is a little more even as it has more insulation and has less height in the cooking chamber (ie heat rises.)

A properly loaded Fatboy will have about a 18-20 degree difference between the top and bottom grid and the Party cooker will run up to about 20- 25 degrees. Really not much difference and again, all grids are usable in both cookers.

I hope this answers your questions but if not, ask again and we will try to help.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Cooking Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Old Dave
BBQ Master

Postby smokinit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:37 am

Another well answered question by Dave :mrgreen:
BWS Competitor
NY BWS Dealer
www.purpleporkmasters.com
smokinit

Postby Buddha Belly BBQ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Mr. Old Dave,
As always, your insight is greatly appreciated. the Pictures you post really do help me visualize.
Many Thanks
Buddha Belly BBQ
Buddha Belly BBQ

Postby SmokyOkie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 am

While we have not used a Fatboy in competitions, we routine;y use and Extended Party and a Piglet/Pig;et Plus.

In the piglet plus, we do our butts entirely on the top rack in order to get the bark we want. the lower racks do no seem to want to bark them up as well, but they do cook well.

In the Party, we use the top rack for barking purposes as well, rotating the racks up one at a time until desired bark is achieved. there doesn't seem to be any discrepancy in the overall cooking time.
You don't need teef to eat my beef,
Tim
SmokyOkie

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker