Charcoal by the palette

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Charcoal by the palette

Postby chachahut » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:21 am

I'm looking for a source in the upstate NY area to get wholesale hardwood charcoal briquettes. Would prefer Nature Glo or Stubbs but am open to anything with only starch as a binder (no petrochems). Any one know of suppliers in the region who sell with palette discounts? I'd like to keep the freight costs down if possible.

Thanks for any help...
chachahut

Re: Charcoal by the palette

Postby jd of de » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 am

I love this stuff; lump or briquettes. http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/
jd of de

Postby bmanMA » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:00 am

How does WG Weekend Warrior fare in a BWS? Looking at these for a capacity bump over my WSM, where I have been using the WG Weekend Warrior (Minion method) for quite some time and love it.
bmanMA

Postby Big Ugly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:12 am

Wicked is all we cook with, and love the results. We typically have a Fatboy run the big meats, rib, and a Party for Chix. We have gotten it down to under 2 bags of WW Lump for the whole comp (1 bag during the really hot days). Burns clean, little ash, and we really love the results!

We load the FB firebox as full as we can get it, one sheet of paper towel with some Olive Oil to light it up. Once we see the coals take to the fire, close it up and let the Guru feed it air. Once at temp, we load it up with meat, let it get back to temp, and get that all important sleep for 6-7 hours. Check the firebox, add some (if we really have too, usually its just spreading out the Wicked a bit), and go back to bed for another 2-3 hours.
Chris
CBJ #24810

Backwoods Competitor

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. "

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
Big Ugly

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker