Smoker Options

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Smoker Options

Postby njcooking » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:16 am

I am considering a Party for use at home and competition. What types of options do you recommend? I was thinking, heat diverter, commercial grates, extra racks, casters and Guru. thoughts? Also, any thoughts on the extended party? thanks.
Njcooking
Pit Master
Open Bar BQ
BWS Party & Chubby
Pitts and Spitts
Traeger
njcooking

Postby Old Dave » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:01 am

I would sure look into the extended Party if I were looking at a new cooker. Sure be nice to have a cooker that would hold a full pan. Would also hold the real big bronto spares that we sometimes get at the store.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Cooking Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Old Dave
BBQ Master

Postby stlbbqstore » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm

nj,
The Party is a really nice cooker.
The option I would definitely get would be the heat diverter and at $40 it is a no brainer.
The commercial fire grate is very nice but at $175 I could see maybe not getting it if does not fit into your budget.
Guru. Yes, but that is something you could always add again if budget comes into play.
I would say no to extra racks unless you plan on doing jerky.
( Old Dave has a post with pics on this forum of a jerky cook )
The extended Party is nice but keep in mind that it has expanded metal cooking racks ( harder to keep clean ) and quite a bit heavier and thus less mobile. ( it is rated at 175 lbs. but I really think it is heavier than that)

Good Luck
Ron & Marian Kaup
http://www.stlbbqstore.com
St Louis BBQ Store
Backwoods Smoker Dealer
314-200.5350
stlbbqstore@gmail.com
stlbbqstore

What is the advantage of the Extended party over the Fatboy

Postby norm » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:36 am

I would think that the Fatboy would be the best if you wanted something bigger, but I have never seen an extended Party.
norm

Postby Billm » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:16 am

i would get the extra sliders for the cooking grates to be able to adjust space between cooking grates more efficiently
--Average consumers replenish their supply of barbecue sauce every 54 days. Source: ACNielsen, as reported in American Demographics,
Billm

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker