Finding Backwoods Smoker in California

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Finding Backwoods Smoker in California

Postby Southpaw » Sun May 31, 2009 2:20 pm

I have heard wonderful things about Backwoods Smokers. Now I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and they do not seem to be available out here. I would like to see some smaller cookers (Chubby/Party/Fatboy) and talk to owners before I buy. Are there any users, or competitions, out in this area that have these smokers? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Wade
X-Party
Southpaw

Re: Finding Backwoods Smoker in California

Postby dmw6455 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:53 pm

Just noticed your posting. I live in Los Altos and have had a Fatboy now for 3 years. If you want to hear more about it or even see you are welcome to do that. dmwyse@gmail.com

Dana
dmw6455

Postby Southpaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 am

Dana - Thanks for the response! I purchased an Extended Party from BWS back in November and really enjoy cooking/smoking with it.

Now, I need to improve my cooking skills to fully utilize this wonderful smoker! My wife and I are hoping to go to a couple of KCBS BBQ competitions. Recently, we went up to the Hangtown Winter Fest in Placerville. This event was put on by the California BBQ Association and was a training event for new BBQ teams. We did OK (top half) in all the meat categories, except for chicken.

Otherwise, I plan to smoke everything from cheese to brisket for friends of the family and customers of my business.

What have you cooked on the Fatboy?

Wade
Wade
X-Party
Southpaw

Postby Squealin Pig » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 am

I currently have a couple new Backwoods Chubby models in stock. Not sure if you want to pay shipping all the way to Cali or not, but let me know if I can help in any way, questions etc. Thanks for your time

Best Regards,

Jamie
Derby City Sauces, LLC
Louisville, KY
502-432-3785
Louisville, KY
502-432-3785
email: a1asailor@gmail.com
Squealin Pig

Postby dmw6455 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 am

Hi Wade,

Glad to hear you purchased the Backwoods Smoker. I usually cook: Briskets, Pork Butts, Baby Backs, St. Louis ribs, Beef ribs, sausages, chicken thighs, butterflyed whole turkey, turkey legs and salmon. I typically use Lazarri Oak lump and add hickory chunks, apple chunks, oak chunks or alder chunks. I use the BBQ guru to control temperature. I light the coals using a weed burner connected to 5 gallon propane cylinder. For the briskets I have had success cooking it both unwrapped and wrapped at the end. Seems to depend on the quality of the piece of meat. I only cook for myself, but find many times I wish my unit was even larger. I like to cook larger quantities and then vacumn pack and freeze--re-heat in a double boiler. Have fun.

Dana
dmw6455

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 am

Hey Wade, this is Dave from Bart's Blazin' Q. We met at Placerville. Sorry I never got by to have a close look at your new cooker. There are plenty of contests coming up, so maybe I'll see you at one, and speaking of that, have you signed up for Morgan Hill, and did you get your Guru yet?
Dave

Postby Southpaw » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:55 am

Hello Dave - Betty and I will be judging at Morgan Hill so we will see you there. Good luck!

I decided to go with the Stoker versus the Guru and just picked it up this week. My first cook with the Stoker will be this weekend and look forward to seeing how it works - I am sure there will be a learning curve...
Wade
X-Party
Southpaw

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:35 am

OK Wade, good luck with the Stoker, I'm sure you will love it, and I guess I'll see you after turn-ins in Morgan Hill.
Dave

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker