Which cooker is best for a new competitor?

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Which cooker is best for a new competitor?

Postby Chipper » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:11 pm

I am going to start competing in KCBS events in April and am leaning heavily toward a BWS. One of my team members plans to use another cooker for chicken, so we will need to cook briskets, butts, and ribs. Which is best and which options are highly recommended.
Thanks for any and all input.
Chipper

Postby TN_BBQ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Cooking all 4 KCBS items is do-able on the Party and/or Fatboy, but it's going to take some careful planning. I know a lot of folks use the Fatboy or Party to compete with (especially if you have another smoker that you'll be using too). Cooking 3 items on the Fatboy or Party shouldn't be much trouble at all.

The Competitor is built for competing, but it's not quite as easy to move around as the smaller cookers.

There is something to be said for stepping up to the next larger sized cooker (if you have the budget and ability to move it around).

Regarding upgrades:
Guru
Diverter plate
TN_BBQ

Postby Captain-que » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:16 am

Chipper,
If weight and portability aren't an issue, I like the Fatboy for competition. The Party is also a great model and perfect if you need something lighter, but I prefer the larger racks on the Fatboy. I always had plenty of room for three butts on one shelf and 2 briskets on the shelf below. The cooker isn't tall, so temps don't vary much between shelves. Come morning, there is plenty of room on the third rack for three slabs of ribs. (4 with backs) We competed with 2 Fatboys, giving us a second high temp cooker for chicken and glazing...perfect combo!
Merrill
"The Powers of BBQ"
Captain-que

Postby Chipper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger and ordered a Fatboy. Can't wait to get the neighborhood all smoked up.
Chipper

Postby KC_Bobby » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Good choice, you'll like it.
Boondoggle BBQ
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Gator (former smoker)
Backwoods Party (former smoker)
www.boondogglebbq.com
KC_Bobby

Postby Captain-que » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Congrats, the Fatboy is a great cooker. WARNING...these cookers are habit forming. In the last 3 years, I've pulled the trigger 4 times and I'm thinking about doing it again!
Merrill
"The Powers of BBQ"
Captain-que

Postby Chipper » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks_ I can't wait to get started on it. I am currently using a ceramic which I love, but will be doing some competitions this year and will using the fatboy.
Chipper

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker