What to buy

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

What to buy

Postby Jerry Cantrell » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Cookshack "Party" smoker or "Fatboy" backwoods smoker, any suggestion?
Jerry Cantrell

Postby Pig Pen BBQ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:07 am

Dear Jerry,

I've pretty much owned em all, here's my 2 cents:

FATBOY

with heat diverter, extra sliders, (brackets for racks to be moved up or down for a custom cookin configuration), 10 or 12 inch stand with casters, & NO hide setter. ( I think Mike stopped putting these in anyway except as an extra, they suck.)

This is a workhorse!

Good luck,

Rich at Pig Pen
Rich at Pig Pen
Pig Pen BBQ

Postby Charles in SC » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:10 pm

I use the hide setters in my 2 cookers almost every time I cook. I think it is a very unique option but I am sure there are a lot of opinions on them.
Cooking at the speed of smoke!
Charles in SC

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:41 am

OK, is the hide setter the vent in the middle of the water pan that allows dry heat in to the cooker? If so, my Competitor came with it, which surprised me because I didn't order it. Anyway, with that said, I use it when I load the cooker to the gills with the convection going. I find it is a great way to keep it up to temp. I just wish there was a way to open and close it without having to open the cooker and reach in, that's the only thing that sucks about it.
Dave

Postby Charles in SC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 pm

I use an Egg tool to open and close mine. I would not buy one just to do this with, it was just kind of handy. You could use most anything with a little hook on the end of a handle a foot or two long.
Cooking at the speed of smoke!
Charles in SC

Postby smokinit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:52 pm

Pig Pen BBQ wrote:Dear Jerry,

I've pretty much owned em all, here's my 2 cents:

FATBOY

with heat diverter, extra sliders, (brackets for racks to be moved up or down for a custom cookin configuration), 10 or 12 inch stand with casters, & NO hide setter. ( I think Mike stopped putting these in anyway except as an extra, they suck.)

This is a workhorse!

Good luck

Rich at Pig Pen

I second that I have two that way miniuse the casters mine are bolted to a trailer.
BWS Competitor
NY BWS Dealer
www.purpleporkmasters.com
smokinit

Re: What to buy

Postby BBQFanatic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:35 pm

I had the same question last year and ended up buying the Cookshack to try out the convenience of an electric smoker. Boy have I been disappointed. I have found that the flavor using the Cookshack electric is nowhere near what I can achieve with my existing smokers (a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain gas unit and a Brinkman charcoal unit). Basically it is a glorified oven with the ability to impart a mild smoke flavor.

I intend to get a new Backwoods unit myself this year (fatboy most likely for greater space on each shelf) and use the Cookshack in my outdoor kitchen as a glorified oven with the ability to impart a bit of a smokey taste to some side dishes.

I know your post was some time ago so you may have already made your decision. But for anyone else reading this I would say DO NOT go for an electric unit.
BBQFanatic

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker