Competitor Temp Questions

Ask questions here for other Backwoods Owners to answer about your Backwoods cooker.

Competitor Temp Questions

Postby pbeyda » Sun May 06, 2012 8:45 pm

I have a fairly new Competitor. I like to cook hot and fast. Cooking at 300-325 degrees for 6 hours for a 12lbs brisket and 7lb pork butt.
I have a 25cfm guru fan. attached in the back left.
I am having trouble getting the box to that temperature. Often can get past 250.
I am loading the fire box with cowboy lump, and starting the fire in the front right. I light with a full chimney of hot coals.
I can get to 200 in 30-40 minutes but I sit at that temp for an hour before climbing higher.
I use a full water pan, usually preheated water using my turkey fryer pot so the water is boiling at entry.
I have tried pulling the heat deflector, but then I just boil the water away at just over 240...

Any thoughts. This is my competition cooking method. So I need to perfect high heat cooking.
Been using this technique for years on a Party with no problems, and a quite a few ribbons.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
pbeyda

Re: Competitor Temp Questions

Postby fire&spiceBBQ » Mon May 07, 2012 11:10 am

I was taking the other day with a user that cooks like that in his competitor, he uses 2 chimneys full of lit.
I also wonder why your fan is on the back left if you start on the front? perhaps put the fan so it blows the fire towards the unburnt coals?

im interested to know how you make out with more lit on startup.

Thanks, Eric
Authorized Backwoods Dealer
fireandspicebbq@gmail.com
Gater (coming soon)
fire&spiceBBQ

Re: Competitor Temp Questions

Postby RedValleyBBQ » Tue May 08, 2012 5:09 pm

I have noticed while cooking with a piglet and a competitor that if you want higher temps try using less water. Seems to help us get higher temps.
Red Valley BBQ and Firefighting BBQ Teams
KCBS CBJ
Backwoods Piglet
Oklahoma Joe Smoker Trailer
Traeger Lil Tex
Weber 18.5" and 22" Kettles
Charbroil H20 Smoker
RedValleyBBQ

Return to Questions about your Backwoods Cooker