Backwoods Party gap at the top left corner?

Ask questions here for other Backwoods Owners to answer about your Backwoods cooker.

Backwoods Party gap at the top left corner?

Postby mcoupe » Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi guys, I recently received my Party and used it over the weekend. I noticed that the top laft hand corner of the large door has a gap between the main box and the insulation on the door frame. Smoke flows out pretty freely, and if I look at the crack from the top I can see the light of day out the other side. Like I said its about the top 3 inches of the door, on the side and top, and the gap is maybe 1/16th - 2/16th of an inch . Just wanted to know if this is normal. Dont know what I'd do if it wasnt , not sure I could fix it, and sending it back doesnt even seem like an option. Just want to make sure I got the best possible product for the money.I cooked some butts, and they came out great, but didnt know if I was losing moisture. Also whats the best way to remove a full water pan? I ended up getting a cup and dipping it into the pan to drain it a bit so it wouldnt spill out when I lifted it from one end.
mcoupe

Re: Backwoods Party gap at the top left corner?

Postby RickC » Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Is this a new party? Did you slam the door shut? You have to slam them to get them latch correctly. If you did all that and it is new it has gotten tweaked somehow, most likely the door. You may be able to tweak it back. if or if it is not new call Mike at BWS and ask him what to do.
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin

Postby mcoupe » Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 am

Yes its a new Party. And yes, its shutting. Damn, okay thanks for the advice, will call.
mcoupe

Postby mcoupe » Mon May 23, 2011 5:01 pm

I called Backwoods about the door, and spoke with one of their guys. He was very helpful, and apologetic, and told me if I open the door, and take a 2x4 and place it under the door latch, close the door, and apply some pressure to the top it should pop into place. Thats pretty much what happened, and it worked! Theres no visible gap, and theres very little smoke escaping from the door, and only when its smoking hard. Thanks guys for your help!
mcoupe

Postby trueque » Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 am

Good thread. Troubleshooting is the key to success.
Michael
TrueQue Competition BBQ Team

Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Upgraded Party
trueque

Postby chrischandler71 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:56 am

I am having same problem. Can you elaborate a little more on solution? Do you put 2x4 behind latch, and close door? Where do you apply pressure from top? Top of door, or top of latch?
chrischandler71

Postby RickC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:27 am

chrischandler71 wrote:I am having same problem. Can you elaborate a little more on solution? Do you put 2x4 behind latch, and close door? Where do you apply pressure from top? Top of door, or top of latch?
You are going to use the 2X4 for a pivot point at the door latch and then push the portion of the door that is not sealing towards the closed position. That will tweak the door and make it lay flat. It will be a trial and error thing.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby chrischandler71 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:03 am

Sorry Rick, still confused. What do you mean the 2x4 as a pivot point? Do I put it behind latch handle?
chrischandler71

Postby chrischandler71 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:25 am

I think I figured out what you were saying. Put the 2x4 in the door below latch, and push against area with gap to tweak in that area. I think my issue is that I need to adjust at latch.. the whole side of door with latch attached has small crack from top to bottom. If I push door closed with had while watching latch, I have a good bit of play between door latch and strike plate, maybe 2/16 inch. I think if I adjust. Latch 1 to 2 click in that will seal my door. What do you think?
chrischandler71

Postby RickC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:11 pm

chrischandler71 wrote:I think I figured out what you were saying. Put the 2x4 in the door below latch, and push against area with gap to tweak in that area. I think my issue is that I need to adjust at latch.. the whole side of door with latch attached has small crack from top to bottom. If I push door closed with had while watching latch, I have a good bit of play between door latch and strike plate, maybe 2/16 inch. I think if I adjust. Latch 1 to 2 click in that will seal my door. What do you think?

Slam the door hard and then check it...the doors have to be slammed to get them to latch correctly. Then post again on your results. Mmmm, just thought, let me make this clear, ala Obama, take the 2X4 out first. :mrgreen:
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Return to Questions about your Backwoods Cooker