Temp control on a party

Ask questions here for other Backwoods Owners to answer about your Backwoods cooker.

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby RickC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:26 am

This is what a brisket looks like coming out of the Chubby.
Image
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Cordova, TN

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby RickC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Sounds like it came out good...now we are waiting for the butt, shoulder, and rib report...with pics.
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Cordova, TN

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby ammoore74 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:24 pm

No pics of the butts, however here is the brisket sliced
Attachments
SDC11493.JPG
SDC11493.JPG (51.31 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
ammoore74
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 am
Location: Troy, IL

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby RickC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:27 pm

That really looks good, what did you use for a rub?
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Cordova, TN

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby ammoore74 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks,
Been using Plowboys Bovine Bold on my brisket for the past two years.
ammoore74
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 am
Location: Troy, IL

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby Boyz Club Rulez » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:05 pm

I use a Chubby and I ran into the same problem. My two adjustments I made which fixed the problem. I also use a BBQ guru with fan.

1st - I set my temp on my guru about 15 degrees less than my desired temp.
2nd - This may seem silly but it worked. I found putting cold water in the water pan made the charcoal work harder to get up to temp. As it reached temp inside the chamber the water temp rose. As the temp of the water continued to rise it affected the temp inside the chamber causing a higher temp than wanted. I was consitantly running 240 to 250 with my guru set at 225. Hope it helps.
Boyz Club Rulez
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby RickC » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Boyz Club Rulez wrote:I use a Chubby and I ran into the same problem. My two adjustments I made which fixed the problem. I also use a BBQ guru with fan.

1st - I set my temp on my guru about 15 degrees less than my desired temp.
2nd - This may seem silly but it worked. I found putting cold water in the water pan made the charcoal work harder to get up to temp. As it reached temp inside the chamber the water temp rose. As the temp of the water continued to rise it affected the temp inside the chamber causing a higher temp than wanted. I was consitantly running 240 to 250 with my guru set at 225. Hope it helps.

I wonder about that...the water temp will never be above/below 212 degrees unless if you are in Death Valley/Denver.
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Cordova, TN

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby bmanMA » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:59 am

I have been having the same problem with my extended Party - runaway temps. I posted on another thread about the heat diverter mashing the hinge-side firebox door gasket. It looks to me like I may have a leak at that point that may be contributing to my failure. I am going to (finally) notch out that corner of the heat diverter today and see if it helps. I have to coax the now very mashed gasket back into form.
bmanMA
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 am

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby stlbbqstore » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Aaron,

Nice to hear you got it figured out.
Ron & Marian Kaup
http://www.stlbbqstore.com
St Louis BBQ Store
Backwoods Smoker Dealer
314-200.5350
stlbbqstore@gmail.com
User avatar
stlbbqstore
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: St Louis, MO

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby ammoore74 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks Ron, but I wouldn't say I got it figured out quite yet.....
Did anothr cook this past weekend.

I was able to maintain a very low @200 temp for the beginning of the cook. All it took was keeping a very small fire.
I was in the mindset that I should be able to fill up the charcoal basket, damper down the air intakes (not the exhaust) and achieve this......it can be done but with a small fire and more babysitting.

All in all I'm happy with the Party. However, I am not satisfied with the color I'm getting on my butts/brisket.
Instead of the nice red color I'm used to, they are turning very dark, almost black in the BWS Party.

Any suggestions?....Anybody?????
ammoore74
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 am
Location: Troy, IL

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby Old Dave » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 am

Foil....
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Cooking Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Old Dave
BBQ Master
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Coatesville, Indiana

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby ammoore74 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:11 pm

I do foil....I wrap when the internal temp hits 160.
The butts were already very, very dark.

The brisket on a lower shelf didn't seem to get as dark.
How much rotation should be taking place during the cook....???
I had two large butts and put them one per shelf.
Midway through I swapped them and left the brisket alone.
ammoore74
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 am
Location: Troy, IL

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby bmanMA » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:31 pm

bmanMA wrote:I have been having the same problem with my extended Party - runaway temps. I posted on another thread about the heat diverter mashing the hinge-side firebox door gasket. It looks to me like I may have a leak at that point that may be contributing to my failure. I am going to (finally) notch out that corner of the heat diverter today and see if it helps. I have to coax the now very mashed gasket back into form.


That notch that I put in the right-front corner of the diverter seems to have helped.
I also agree that having a load in the cooker makes a huge difference. Like 1/2 full, seems to behave a lot better.
bmanMA
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 am

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby chrischandler71 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:26 pm

I got a new Chubby a couple weeks ago. I seasoned it, and then did ribs the next day. I was having trouble with temp going up to 260 even with one vent closed, and the other about 3/16 open. I was having some smoke come from around door a little, so figured I had an airleak. I called BWS and the guy informed me to make sure I slammed door closed real hard. I thought maybe my door needed adjustment, but he told me the process they use at the factory to make sure door is seated well. I said okay, so then went outside to check my firebox door, and sure enough I was slamming, but not hard enough. the latch was on the right side of the roller, but not all the way against strike plate. So I slammed the door real hard, and sure enough it sealed that gasket up tight against the door, and the latch was in the right place. I have not had a chance to cook again on it, maybe this weekend for the 4th, but i feel certain that I did not have a good seal on first cook, and that I was getting air in from door to firebox.
chrischandler71
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Temp control on a party

Postby RickC » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:04 pm

chrischandler71 wrote:I got a new Chubby a couple weeks ago. I seasoned it, and then did ribs the next day. I was having trouble with temp going up to 260 even with one vent closed, and the other about 3/16 open. I was having some smoke come from around door a little, so figured I had an airleak. I called BWS and the guy informed me to make sure I slammed door closed real hard. I thought maybe my door needed adjustment, but he told me the process they use at the factory to make sure door is seated well. I said okay, so then went outside to check my firebox door, and sure enough I was slamming, but not hard enough. the latch was on the right side of the roller, but not all the way against strike plate. So I slammed the door real hard, and sure enough it sealed that gasket up tight against the door, and the latch was in the right place. I have not had a chance to cook again on it, maybe this weekend for the 4th, but i feel certain that I did not have a good seal on first cook, and that I was getting air in from door to firebox.
I have said over and over, you have to slam the doors...really slam them when they are new. :lol:
Rick
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Cordova, TN

Previous

Return to Questions about your Backwoods Cooker

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest